1099 Contract College Faculty and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
At StraighterLine we are on a mission to help students succeed!
StraighterLine is the leading provider of high-quality, affordable, online courses that help learners earn college credit and meet their professional goals. Each year, 150,000 learners take one of StraighterLine’s 215 courses to upskill into new careers or earn credit from over 2,000 colleges and universities worldwide. StraighterLine works with institutions and corporate partners to provide their students and employees with flexible education options that allow them to work and learn at their own pace. Visit www.straighterline.com for more information.
StraighterLine is looking for qualified subject matter experts (SMEs) to assist the Academics team with the (re)development of high quality, evidence-based, and engaging content, across our entire college-level course catalog.
In this role, you will have the fun of engaging with an awesome team and innovating with multiple creative components related to curriculum and course assessment & design, as well as assignment development and intentional student interactions/pulse points.
The following courses will be up for revision in 2024. If you meet the eligibility requirements for more than one course/discipline, please feel free to apply for consideration for multiple courses.
ACC101: Accounting I
ACC102: Accounting II
ACC151: Managerial Accounting
ANTH101: Cultural Anthropology
BIO101: Anatomy & Physiology I BIO202: Anatomy & Physiology II
BUS101: Introduction to Business
BUS106: Business Ethics
BUS110: Business Law
BUS120: Organizational Behavior
BUS201: Principles of Management
CHEM101: General Chemistry I
CIV101: Western Civilization I
CIV102: Western Civilization II
CIV103: Survey of World History
ENV101: Introduction to Environmental Science
IT101: Information Technology Fundamentals
MAT101: College Algebra
MAT150: Business Statistics
MAT202: Introduction to Statistics
MAT250: General Calculus I
MAT250: General Calculus II
NUTRI101: Introduction to Nutrition
POLS101: American Government
PHIL101: Introduction to Philosophy
PSY101: Introduction to Psychology
REL101: Introduction to Religion
SOC101: Introduction to Sociology
SUCCESS101: Student Success
USHIST101: United States History I
USHIST102: United States History II
Requirements for Eligibility
- Master’s degree or higher in the course discipline
- Teaching experience in the course discipline
- Experience in curriculum design & development for college-level courses
- Patience with deadline-driven projects that may warrant fast turnaround and iterative development
- Ability to work effectively both collaboratively and independently, throughout all phases of a project
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented mindset, and ability to scaffold project work within multiple (and sometimes competing) deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to disseminate course-related information to a wide range of professional audiences (academic and non-academic) and across multiple departments
- Familiarity with the Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Sheets)
Bonus Skills We Value
- Familiarity with online learning theories, andragogy/pedagogy, Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction, and promising practices related to building engaging and interactive asynchronous learning experiences
- Familiarity with learning management systems (LMS)
- Flexibility to pivot, if/when a project changes according to design iterations
- Evidence-based instructional design (ID) skills
- College-level and online teaching experience
- Educational Requirements: Master’s degree or higher in the discipline.
- Work Environment: Mostly asynchronous & independent work, with a few daytime planning meetings and email communications required.
- Pay: 1099 Contract SME work is billed hourly, at the rate of $35.00 an hour.
- Future State: While this position is not in any way connected with full-time potential, this SME will potentially have an opportunity to become a 1099 contract faculty grader in this course, once launched.