Head of Product - Timely
Who we are
We believe the master schedule is the beating heart of a school. It is the fulcrum of the student experience and innovative academic, staffing, and budget solutions. And yet across the country, schedules are built in painstaking fashion on white boards and Google docs. Unsurprisingly, they are often rife with inefficiency and inequity, constraining schools’ ability to innovate and deliver better, more engaging student experiences.
We have created a solution to address the needs of school-based employees who toil away building schedules and central office employees who need visibility into them. Timely ensures that the master schedule isn’t a process you suffer through, but one that’s user-friendly and enables academic, budget and staffing priorities.
Timely is a combination of software, optimization technology and service. Ultimately, scheduling with Timely can help school-based staff build better master schedules while simultaneously allowing central offices to have radical visibility into the use of time and resources. And Timely not only saves time and headache, it unlocks resources so leaders can build the school that aligns with their vision.
Timely has been incubated by Workshop Venture Partners. Last year, we completed a successful pilot with a cohort of 17 schools across 3 districts and 3 states (see this recently released white paper that captures our pilot partnership with Lubbock ISD in Texas). We have since experienced strong sales momentum, closed a $2M seed round, and built an impressive team which we are excited to expand!
About the role
We are seeking a Head of Product, a key member of our founding team, who will report directly to the CEO while working closely with our Chief Technology Officer. This is a unique opportunity to work directly with two proven leaders and co-founders of the company and be one of the first members of a team to build a company from the ground up, but with a running start and product-market fit.
Role & Responsibilities
The Head of Product will oversee the entire product development lifecycle and will be instrumental in building and leading a high-performing product function for Timely.
Product strategy & visionCollaborate closely with the CEO and CTO to define and articulate the product vision Develop and manage the product roadmap, balancing it with the company's business objectives to ensure we are serving the needs of schools at scale Work collaboratively with the School Success team to inform product vision and strategy Maintain and execute a product strategy that balances the company’s education objectives, business interests, and team capacity
Product development and executionEstablish a grounded vision for the product and a prioritized roadmap for execution Partner with the CTO to drive the overall goals and execution of the product team Take ownership of defining and iterating a product roadmap in detail, working closely with other key stakeholders Manage execution across the product development team through effective agile development methodologies Be willing to get hands-on to ensure success of the product, diving deep on user experience, design, and even technical concerns (the latter while working closely with engineering partners) Take ownership of ensuring quality through effective internal testing, documentation, and qualitative/quantitative user feedback
User-centric designConduct user research, understanding what our two user types – school-based schedulers and central office decision-makers – need from Timely, generating insights to inform product decisions Develop features and functionalities that deliver a user-centric and effective experience Analyze user interaction and feedback to make informed decisions for product improvements
Build and lead the product teamBegin with a lean approach by leveraging cross-functional support from the School Support team Over time, hire and manage a product team Develop and curate the appropriate systems, processes and tools to support the needs of product development Help create a culture of impact and results among the newly formed team
Be part of the brain trust to build a lasting and valuable companyOur small and quick-moving team is committed to both impact and financial success, and this role will work hand-in-hand with the CEO and CTO in making and implementing major decisions that determine Timely’s future
What we are looking for in candidates
The role requires someone with:
- Experience in product management, ideally at least 5 years
- Proven experience in the K-12 educational space, particularly in developing educational technologies
- Strong analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills
The following additional experiences would also be a plus:
- Experience building middle and/or high school schedules
- Experience building an early-stage product from zero to one
Who you are
- A builder who sees the big picture: You can do work at both ends of the spectrum. You understand schools and see a future where Timely solves their challenges. You can also roll up your sleeves and create/deliver that vision
- Strategic: You can take in many different signals, cut through the noise, and develop a long-term roadmap to deliver for our schools
- Efficient. You are excited to build an impactful product in a lean environment. You can handle multiple priorities, tasks, and requests at the same time
- Collaborative: You have experience working across teams to deliver high quality solutions
- Passionate about schools. You are driven to improve how schools operate and help them use their most precious resources – time, money, and talent – to best serve students. Bonus points if you have experience in secondary education
Benefits we offer
- Health: medical, dental, vision
- Personal growth: professional development opportunities, including free access to online learning programs
Interested in this role?
Reach out to us at email@example.com with your resume and a little bit about you and what interests you about Timely.